This holiday weekend, UBMobile collected in-the-moment insights from some of the nations most difficult to reach demographics. By conducting a four-part tracker study among our Tap™ audiences (MillennialTap™) we tapped into the shopping attitudes and behaviors of Millennials this season. Our mobile-first surveys enabled us to reach this demographic group in the context of their holiday lives, when consumers are typically less likely to partake in surveys. This approach captured in-the-moment insights from all three major holiday shopping days – Black Friday, Small Biz Saturday, and Cyber-Monday.
By connecting with shoppers on their mobile device each day of the Thanksgiving weekend, UBMobile collected data during the shopper journey, which eliminates recall bias found in traditional online survey methods. Results showed shopper preference on day, time, and location including preference for mobile and online shopping as a convenience.
• Black Friday remains the most popular Thanksgiving weekend shopping day, followed by Cyber Monday, and Small Business Saturday. Although, more people appear to be taking advantage of retailers offering Black Friday deals on Thursday, and conducted most of their shopping before 2pm on Friday.
• While some felt that Black Friday was “stressful but worth it”, if shoppers could only pick one day to shop, it would still be Black Friday. Among those who shopped it, 48% shopped online and in-store, but the majority felt it was easier to purchase online.
• 69% of shoppers said they grabbed deals at mass merchants like Target and Walmart, then departments stores like Kohl’s, Macy’s, and Nordstrom.
• On Saturday, shopping was dominated by grocery and to a lesser degree, small business. For those who shopped Small Biz Saturday, 30% said they “wanted to support their local businesses”, primarily shopping at clothing stores and purchasing gifts for friends and family.
• By Monday, shoppers expressed that they’d shopped online “over the weekend” and also took advantage of Cyber Monday with 87% choosing Amazon.
UBMobile is a mobile-first market research technology firm. We engage audiences of today in mobile and online research collecting in-the-moment insights through our unique, media rich, LifeTap™ engagement platform. For more information about UBMobile email@example.com.